Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Salad in Mason Jars!

I Love these delightful little jars filled with all the colorful salad peaking out! When I look at them, not only do I see a beautiful array of colors I like to call "salad art", I also see a jar full of delicious yummies, packed with nutrients! The first time I ate one of these creations I was so amazed with how different it tasted from any other salad I had made! I think it has to do with the layering and how it pours onto the plate. Honestly, most salads I've ever eaten paled in comparison. So, I urge you to go get these ingredients and create your own! Let me know how you like them! Some rules of thumb while making the salads;

1) Put the harder veggies at the bottom of the jar. I put salad dressing in the bottom, first and the denser veggies next. They can withstand the dressing and do not get mushy. Some examples of things I like to put in the bottom are cauliflower, carrots, broccoli slaw or chick peas.
2) Layer the salad and put the lettuce at the top.
3) Cut a paper towel in four sections and put one on top of the lettuce right before you screw the cap on. It helps aid in moisture removal from the jar which can help preserve the salad.
4) I like to buy the quart size mason jars. These make a big meal. The smaller mason jars would make a side salad.
5) Refrigerate the salad. They should last about 5 days. I read somewhere else 5-7. But not sure how they look at the seven day mark! Mine are always gone within three.
6) When you are ready to serve, shake it up a bit and just pour the salad onto a plate. The veggies and dressing in the bottom will fall beautifully over the salad!
7) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment